Ashton Forest was developed in the late 1950's in preparation for the population boom in the 1960s. Population in the Fayetteville (Cumberland County) area grew 43% post World War II. Cumberland county had the greatest population growth during that time of all 100 North Carolina Counties. Shopping and dining was expanding beyond the downtown area and away from Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base. Sherwood Forest Elementary School was built in 1967 to accommodate the influx of new students from the Ashton Forest Community and the other new communities. Sherwood Forest Elementary is still providing a strong education for the young minds of the Ashton Forest Community.
Many of the homes in the community still have been renovated to include modern preferences of granite counters, crown molding, chair rails, and a second full bath. Originally the homes were built with one or one and a half bathrooms. Most of the homes have maintained the original hard wood floors. Some have opted to enclose the carport while others have added a garage to the property. The neighborhood is very diverse from young first time home owners to families who bought the home in the early 1960's and have remained there for the past 50 years.
Home owners enjoy the convienant location of Ashton Forest since not only is Sherwood Elementary within walking distance. Shopping, dining, a Cumberland County Library branch, the Cape Fear Valley Hospital System, the Douglas Byrd High School and Middle School, Fayetteville Christian, Ireland Drive Middle, and more are within minutes from Ashton Forest. The commute to Fort Bragg is less than 20 minutes on most days thanks to easy access to the All American Expressway.